Does your child cycle to school? Please ensure they are taking all safety precautions whilst cycling to and from school.
- Distractions Using mobile phones and mp3 players whilst cycling is extremely dangerous, as cyclists need to concentrate on the road and other road users.
- Visibility Fluorescent and reflective tabards/band should be worn whilst cycling. White front lights and red rear lights MUST be used after dark.
- Protection Always wear a helmet.
- Road position and signaling Steer clear of the kerb and don’t ride in the gutter. Don’t weave between lanes or change direction suddenly. Show drivers what you plan to do in plenty of time.
- Maintenance Is the bike regularly maintained and checked?
Further information can be found at: http://think.direct.gov.uk/education/secondary/parents/cycle-safety/